Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Water Cooler 2.0

I was a marketer's dream. 

A sucker for pretty packaging and flashy ads. It didn't matter what was INSIDE the bottle, I mean nail polish is nail polish, right? Hot sauce is hot sauce. Vodka is vodka. I was charmed by all their tricks.


So my linen closet is lined with pretty bottles filled with polish that is too thick or too thin or starts to chip within a few hours of an application and my spice rack is littered with creatively designed jars filled with not-so-hot hot sauce. And the vodka, well, let's just say vodka IS vodka and those sleek, sexy , awesomely cool bottles have probably been recycled into a set of lounge chairs whose home is now a beach in Bermuda!

As they say, with age comes wisdom. 

And along with that came the internet, Web 2.0, and social media--the new 'office water cooler.'

Like most people, word of mouth is what influences me to try something. I am now more likely to consider a purchase when the information comes from a friend or from others with similar tastes and least likely to be swayed by a sales pitch or sweet packaging on a product's website.

From cruises to cars, snowshoes to snow blowers, exercise equipment to energy bars, I have come to rely on the growing 'groundswell' to enlighten me on the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

'Groundswell', as defined in 'Groundswell: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies,' by co-authors Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff, is “a spontaneous movement of people using online tools to connect, take charge of their own experience and get what they need – information, support, ideas, products, and bargaining power – from each other, instead of from companies.”

The concept of the groundswell shifts the power away from the marketing professionals to the online user community. In essence, brands are being hijacked by the consumer. They are the ones who now define the brand's image and they are the ones who direct the conversations.

In a recent survey, respondents said that hearing others talking about a company was among the top three reasons for them to buy from them. According to Nielsen’s Global Online Consumer Survey, more than two thirds of today’s consumers say they trust opinions stated online – second in trustworthiness only to recommendations from people they know in real life.

Groundswells are also changing the way customers behave in regard to the manner in which they make their purchases. In the past customer loyalty was nearly guaranteed, as people operating offline generally do not change behaviors quickly. However, the groundswell creates an environment of fickle, uninhibited customers who often may change their mind as soon as they see something better.

The power of the groundswell has a sizable impact on individuals' purchasing decisions. This power can have a phenomenally great outcome for a brand. Conversely, it can also destroy one, especially if marketing teams are not ready or are resistant to join these discussions. Digitally enlightened consumers will no longer accept poor product quality no matter how brilliant their marketing strategy may be. With social networking consumers can discuss any product's usability, good, bad, or ugly, for the world to see. Therefore product quality must be impeccable from beginning to end.
 
Similar to the Mini USA case study in Groundswell's chapter on 'Listening to the Groundswell', Jeep's Wrangler brand has an online following. Jeep designed a special Jeep Jamboree website where their Wrangler following can go to learn about upcoming events, join discussion groups and bond with other Wrangler owners, enter photo contests, or buy Jeep gear.

By doing this, Jeep has created a way of marketing to their Wrangler owners "in hopes of spreading word of mouth -- and that is groundswell thinking."


Now a marketer's worst nightmare, before I head out to find the perfect pink polish that glides smoothly on my nails and doesn't start to chip for at least a week, I check the groundswell buzz at www.officewatercooler2.0.com and heed their advice.  



(reading response 1)

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your writing style, Natalie. I thought you phrased the concepts of Groundswell well and your introduction is very catchy.

    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rose! The introduction drew me in instantly; it was relatable and fun. You also incorporated the example of the Jeep Jamboree very well into your summary/analysis of Groundswell. I really enjoyed reading this post and look forward for your posts to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures in your post were very entertaining. It seems as though the lava lamps were home made (so cool). It is interesting to think about why people purchase various products. I tell myself, "I won't by something simply because I heard other people talking about it." However it is important to consider how people will buy good products when they hear that other people have had good experiences. So word-of-mouth is definitely more powerful than print. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Natalie - very engaging, compelling even. I think you're going to have to update your bio. :) While the groundswell effect is revolutionizing marketing, I hope brands see this has a positive shift. Surely its different, requiring new strategies to make an impact through all the noise, but they've got so much more access to their target audiences and how their products/services are being received.

    p.s. - gel manicures should be your new BFF. 2+ weeks without a chip, instantly dry, lots of pink options!

    ReplyDelete